Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Mailbox

Well, I thought it was time to update the mailbox this year.  By Labor Day, it still sported the weeds that took over after the spring bulbs died down!  What a mess.  It was full of crabgrass, I had to pull it all out.  But then, with it freshly cleaned, I began to think about what I would like instead.  I finally ended up with some Angelica Sedum.  It will look amazing next summer and fall as it turns many hues of bronze, yellow and orange.  Behind that I planted some Blue Salvia.  One problem.  The Salvia didn't have much information on the label and so I was taking a long shot with it.  I didn't know if it was an annual or perennial.  Seems it is a perennial in the southern states!  It's zone 9!!!  We're zone 4-5.  I'll have to give some special care to get that little cutie to come up next spring!

I've been cleaning out back again.  Try as I might, I can't seem to see "outside the box" to come up with something that I really want back there.  I did plant some Pampas grass that I dug up from an empty homestead in Polk City.  They say Pampas grass won't grow here.  But it was growing in Polk City, so it should grow here!  I hope so.  That and a few other things will be a big cover-up in the corner of the garden.

Pictures are coming...I promise!  Until next time then, Plant something!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My neighbor, Jane, called and said she had thinned out some flowers and asked if I wanted them... and yes, I'd love to have some flowers, but I have no time to plant them! Darn it! ;)

Grandma's Garden said...

Blah! What kind were they? I have a few days off, I might be helpful.